Prevent Your Summer Hair Colour from Fading
It’s that time of year where clients start to stress about keeping their summer hair colour from fading. Chlorine, sun and salt water can all fade your coloured or highlighted hair. We all want to protect our investment! Here are some helpful and easy-to-follow tips to keep your colour safe:
- Wait for 24 to 48 hrs before shampooing after a colour service and try not to wash your hair every day following that initial wash. If you tend to get greasy at the roots, try using a hair powder.
- Use a professional grade, sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner for colour treated hair. These products are going to have the least harsh chemicals in them so they do not strip out your colour. Additionally, try a colour enhancing shampoo to brighten your colour in between salon visits.
- Try rinsing with cooler water. The heat from extremely hot water can fade your colour, especially if your colour is a particularly vibrant shade.
- If you are going to be in the sun, wear a hat or bandana. This is especially important if you’re going to be in the sun for a long period of time. The direct rays from the sun will indeed fade your colour and possibly change the tone.
- When swimming in chlorine or salt water, leave a little conditioner or detangle with UV protectors in your hair. This will help prevent the chlorine or salt water from absorbing into your hair.
- be careful of using clarifying shampoos. They are great for washing your hair after swimming, but they WILL strip out your colour. Use a clarifying shampoo once a week tops, not as an everyday shampoo.
- Professional product lines now have heat protectors with UV sunscreens. Take advantage of these products and make the investment! These types of products will also help protect from thermal heat from blow dryers and irons. You use sunscreen on your face and body, why not your hair?
If you are keeping up with all the tips and your colour still fades, tell your stylist. We can recommend a clear gloss to put on after your colour that will seal and lock in your new hair colour, plus you get extra shine. So get out there and enjoy yourself this summer season, but be sure and protect your beauty investment with these tips! For high-quality hair, colouring services make a booking at Yemaya Spa & Hair and get the ultimate hair salon experience